The term “enteral route of drug administration” refers to the process of delivering medication directly into the gastrointestinal tract. This is commonly done through the mouth or with the assistance of a feeding tube.
When giving medications through the enteral route, one needs to exercise caution in order to ensure that the medication is delivered in a manner that is both safe and effective.
Here are the contraindications to the Enteral route of drug administration that you need to remember. This can be easily memorised through a mnemonic
Contraindications For Enteral Drug Administration (Mnemonics) :
- Mechanical ventilation or other airway support measures.
- Intestinal obstruction or perforation
- Severe diarrhea
- Severe malabsorption syndrome
- Severe dehydration
- Ileus (intestinal paralysis)
- Intractable vomiting
- Bowel ischemia
- Impaired consciousness or inability to swallow safely
- Gastrointestinal bleeding or ulceration
Mnemonic: i MISS Studying In India BIG time