If you are finding it difficult to remember the most important things to know about back pain in vertebral osteomyelitis, then the mnemonic “VERTICAL” will help you to remember it.
This will be quite valuable for patients as well as medical doctors, nurses & students doing their clinical rounds. You can also find it very useful for med exams like USMLE, NEET PG, FMGE, NExT & NCLEX exams
Vertebral osteomyelitis is a condition where there is an infection of the bone and surrounding tissues in the spinal column. It is typically caused by bacteria that enters the body through the bloodstream and settles in the vertebrae.
Back Pain In Vertebral Osteomyelitis : How To Remember Easily ?
- V – Vertebral osteomyelitis is caused by hematogenous seeding
- E – ESR or CRP are the most common findings in vertebral osteomyelitis
- R – Rest back pain and tenderness over the involved vertebra
- T – Tuberculosis or other bacteria may be responsible for vertebral osteomyelitis
- I – Intervertebral disk can also be affected by infection (diskitis)
- C – CT and MRI are sensitive and specific for early detection of osteomyelitis
- A – Almost never affected by tumor
- L – Lung abscess or IV catheters are common sources of bacteremia
Mnemonic : VERTICAL