Here is a quick mnemonic/memory aid “CORONARY HEART“ to remember about the Risk Factors For Coronary Heart Disease
Mnemonic : CORONARY HEART
C – Cholesterol (High LDL): Elevated levels of LDL cholesterol are a significant risk factor for Coronary Heart Disease.
O – Obesity: Being overweight or obese increases the risk of developing Coronary Heart Disease.
R – Race/Ethnicity: Certain racial and ethnic groups, such as African Americans, are at higher risk for Coronary Heart Disease.
O – Older Age: The risk of Coronary Heart Disease increases with age, especially after 45 for men and 55 for women.
N – Nicotine (Smoking): Smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke are major risk factors for Coronary Heart Disease.
A – Atherosclerosis: The buildup of plaque in the arteries, caused by the accumulation of cholesterol and other substances, is a key factor in Coronary Heart Disease.
R – Reproductive Factors (Menopause): In women, early menopause can influence the risk of Coronary Heart Disease.
Y – Years (Family History): A family history of Coronary Heart Disease can elevate your risk, especially if it occurred at a young age.
H – Hypertension (High Blood Pressure): High blood pressure can damage blood vessels and increase the risk of Coronary Heart Disease.
E – Exercise (Physical Inactivity): Lack of physical activity and a sedentary lifestyle are significant risk factors for Coronary Heart Disease.
A – Alcohol Consumption: Excessive alcohol intake can contribute to Coronary Heart Disease, while moderate alcohol consumption may have protective effects.
R – Risk (Diabetes Type 2): People with type 2 diabetes are at an increased risk of Coronary Heart Disease.
T – Triglycerides (High Levels): Elevated levels of triglycerides in the blood are associated with a higher risk of Coronary Heart Disease.
- “Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, 11th Edition” 📚 (Page 768)
- “Harrison’s Manual of Medicine, 20th Edition” 📚 (Page 424)
- “Clinical Surgery, 4th Edition” 📚 (Page 312)
- “Color Atlas of Anatomy, 9th Edition” 📚 (Page 239)
- “Pocket Atlas of Human Anatomy, 6th Edition” 📚 (Page 132)
- “Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System, 6th Edition” 📚 (Page 189)
- “CURRENT Medical Diagnosis and Treatment 2024” 📚 (Page 517)
- “Diagnostic Pathology: Gastrointestinal, 3rd Edition” 📚 (Page 430)