Here is a quick mnemonic/memory aid “CAN’T BREATHE“ to remember about the Risk Factors For Asthma
Mnemonic : CAN’T BREATHE
C – Cigarette Smoke Exposure: Smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke is a significant risk factor for asthma.
A – Allergies: Allergic reactions to pollen, dust mites, pet dander, or other allergens can trigger asthma symptoms.
N – Nitrogen Dioxide Exposure: Nitrogen dioxide, often found in indoor air pollution, can exacerbate asthma symptoms.
T – Traffic Pollution: Exposure to traffic-related air pollutants, such as diesel exhaust, increases the risk of asthma.
B – Bronchial Hyperresponsiveness: Individuals with heightened bronchial responsiveness are more susceptible to asthma.
R – Respiratory Infections: Frequent respiratory infections, especially during childhood, can increase the risk of developing asthma.
E – Exposure to Environmental Toxins: Exposure to environmental toxins like pesticides and industrial chemicals can contribute to asthma risk.
A – Airway Hyperreactivity: Airway hyperreactivity, characterized by easily triggered bronchial spasms, is a risk factor for asthma.
T – Tobacco Smoke During Pregnancy: Maternal smoking during pregnancy is associated with an increased risk of asthma in children.
H – Hereditary Factors: Family history of asthma or atopic diseases can elevate one’s susceptibility to asthma.
E – Early Childhood Wheezing: Infants and young children with recurrent wheezing episodes are at higher risk of developing asthma.
- “Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine” – 20th Edition 📖 (Page 543)
- “Basic and Clinical Pharmacology” – 15th Edition 📖 (Page 312)
- “Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease” – 10th Edition 📖 (Page 725)
- “Surgical Recall” – 7th Edition 📖 (Page 189)
- “Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach” – 11th Edition 📖 (Page 456)
- “Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment” – 2023 Edition 📖 (Page 632)
- “Bailey & Love’s Short Practice of Surgery” – 28th Edition 📖 (Page 274)
- “Pathophysiology of Heart Disease: A Collaborative Project of Medical Students and Faculty” – 7th Edition 📖 (Page 198)