Here is a quick mnemonic ” PAIN NECK “ to remember about Pain In Neck & Shoulder .
This can be valuable for patients as well as medical doctors, nurses & students doing their clinical rounds. You can also find it very useful for med exams like USMLE, NEET PG, FMGE, NExT & NCLEX exams
Neck pain, which usually arises from diseases of the cervical spine and soft tissues of the neck, is common, typically precipitated by movement, and may be accompanied by focal tenderness and limitation of motion.
Pain In Neck & Shoulder : How To Remember Easily ?
- P – Precipitated by movement, neck pain is common
- A – Accompanied by focal tenderness and limitation of motion
- I – Identify a more distal origin for the pain
- N – Neurologic signs of myelopathy may occur
- N – Nerve tissue injury can be localized with EMG studies
- E – Electrical shock down the spine with neck flexion suggests involvement of the cervical spinal cord
- C – Cervical spine trauma, disk disease, or spondylosis may be asymptomatic or painful and can produce a myelopathy, radiculopathy, or both
- K – Knowledge of risk factors for serious causes of LBP applies to neck pain
Mnemonic : PAIN NECK