As a medical professional, I understand the importance of being able to recall medical info quickly and accurately in exams. That’s why I’m excited to share with you a powerful mnemonic “SS-HAMSTER” for understanding the causes, presentations, and classifications of myocardial ischemia that can help medical and nursing students, as well as doctors worldwide, remember the key points with ease.
By breaking down this information into easy-to-remember chunks, medical professionals can provide more effective care for their patients and make better-informed decisions in the field of medical & nursing care as well as accademics
Myocardial ischemia Causes, Presentations and Classifications :
- S: Supply and demand imbalance between myocardial oxygen requirements and myocardial oxygen supply causes myocardial ischemia and injury.
- S: Stable ischemic heart disease is caused by gradual atherosclerotic narrowing of coronary arteries. Stable angina is typically relieved upon resting.
- H: Heart disease becomes unstable when atherosclerotic lesions rupture, causing thrombosis, and ischemia at rest or with an escalating pattern.
- A: Acute coronary atherothrombosis leads to myocardial ischemia, which is detectable by ECG without ST-segment elevation.
- M: Unstable ischemic heart disease is classified as unstable angina or non-ST elevation MI (NSTEMI) depending on the presence of acute myocardial injury.
- S: STEMI occurs when the coronary thrombus is completely occlusive, leading to transmural myocardial ischemia, ST-segment elevation on ECG, and myocardial necrosis.
- T: Thrombus, usually caused by atheromatous plaque, obstructs one or more epicardial coronary arteries.
- E: Elevated myocardial oxygen consumption is caused by increases in heart rate, ventricular wall stress, and myocardial contractility.
- R: Relief of stable angina typically occurs upon resting.
Back Pain Mnemonics Body Temperature & Fever Mnemonics Bone Mnemonics Chest Pain Mnemonics Diseases & Conditions Mnemonics Dizziness Vertigo Mnemonics Fatigue Mnemonics Gastrointestinal Mnemonics Headache Mnemonics Hematology Mnemonics Lesions Mnemonics Neck Pain Mnemonic Osteomyelitis Mnemonics Pain Mnemonics Pharmacokinetics & Pharmacodynamics Mnemonics Physical Examination Mnemonics Rash Mnemonics Signs & Symptoms Mnemonics Skin Disorders/Conditions Mnemonics Syncope Mnemonics
Dr. Arin Nandi
Passionate About Medical Science & Helping Future Doctors Achieve Top Ranks In Medical Exams. He is professionally a dentist as well as a public health expert from JIPMER working in govt.health department