The types of Osteomyelitis can be easily remembered by using the mnemonic “HAPTIC Feedback Is Very Different”
Osteomyelitis is an infection that affects the bone and soft tissues around it. Pathogens such as bacteria, fungi, and viruses can enter the body through a cut or scratch and cause infection there.
Although osteomyelitis can affect any bone in the body, the long bones of the arms and legs, the spine, and the pelvis are particularly vulnerable. Pain, swelling, redness, and warmth in the affected area, as well as fever, chills, and weariness, are all indications of osteomyelitis.
Osteomyelitis is treated with medications, surgical debridement (the removal of contaminated tissue), and, in severe cases, bone grafting. Amputation may be required to stop the spread of infection in extreme circumstances.
How To Remember The Types Of Osteomyelitis?
Types of Osteomyelitis :
- Acute osteomyelitis – This type of osteomyelitis comes on suddenly
- Chronic osteomyelitis – Chronic osteomyelitis is a bone infection that doesn’t go away with treatments
- Vertebral osteomyelitis – This type affects the spine
- Tuberculous osteomyelitis – It occurs secondary to the lymphohematogenous spread of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from a pulmonary focus
- Implant-associated spinal osteomyelitis
- Hematogenous osteomyelitis – blood-borne
- Diffuse sclerosing osteomyelitis
- Focal sclerosing osteomyelitis – periostitis ossificans, Garré’s sclerosing osteomyelitis
- Proliferative periostitis
Mnemonic: HAPTIC Feedback Is Very Different
Mind Map / Concept Map / Mnemonic To Remember Types of Osteomyelitis
Video On Types of Osteomyelitis To Further Add To Your Knowledge