ST depression occurs when the J point is shifted below baseline. Just with ST elevation, not all ST depression signals myocardial ischemia or an acute syndrome.
How To Remember The Depressed ST-segment Causes ?
Depressed ST-segment Causes
- Drooping valve (MVP)
- Enlargement of LV with strain
- Potassium loss (hypokalemia)
- Reciprocal ST- depression (in I/W AMI)
- Embolism in lungs (pulmonary embolism)
- Subendocardial ischemia
- Subendocardial infarct
- Encephalon haemorrhage (intracranial haemorrhage)
- Dilated cardiomyopathy
- Toxicity of digitalis, quinidine
Mnemonic: “DEPRESSED ST“
Mind Map / Concept Map /Memory Aid/ Mnemonic To Remember Depressed ST-segment Causes
Remember this for your NExT Medical Exit Test exam & USMLE, Pre-Med, NCLEX exams.