Here is a quick mnemonic “ALGORITHM FOR FOOD“ to remember about Dysphagia Management & Treatment.
This can be valuable for patients as well as medical doctors, nurses & students doing their clinical rounds. You can also find it very useful for med exams like USMLE, NExT Medical Step 1&2, MBBS, NEET PG, INI-CET, FMGE,MCAT & NCLEX exams
Dysphagia Management & Treatment : How To Remember Easily ?
- A – Approach the patient’s dysphagia with an algorithm.
- L – Localize the dysphagia to determine the etiology.
- G – Gather information about the circumstances of dysphagia.
- O – Observe for other symptoms associated with dysphagia.
- R – Recognize the progression of dysphagia.
- I – Identify the type of food causing dysphagia.
- T – Take note of the history of heartburn and other relevant factors.
- H – History of hoarseness can provide important diagnostic clues.
- M – Medication use may indicate potential causes of dysphagia.
- F – Perform a thorough physical examination.
- O – Oral and pharyngeal dysphagia may require a fluoroscopic swallow study.
- R – Rule out esophageal dysphagia using upper endoscopy.
- F – Fluoroscopy and barium radiography can be useful in evaluating esophageal strictures.
- O – Obtain mucosal biopsies to identify abnormalities and causes.
- O – Order additional diagnostic procedures if needed, such as CT examination or endoscopic ultrasonography.
- D – Determine the appropriate treatment based on the location and etiology of dysphagia.
Mnemonic : ALGORITHM FOR FOOD