Here is a quick mnemonic/memory aid “ADRENAL CRISIS“ to remember about Drugs Causing Adrenal Crisis
Mnemonic : ADRENAL CRISIS
A – Antipsychotics: Certain antipsychotic medications, such as haloperidol, can disrupt the body’s adrenal function.
D – Decongestants: Overuse of decongestant medications, like pseudoephedrine, may lead to adrenal crisis.
R – Rifampin: Rifampin, an antibiotic, can interact with adrenal hormones and potentially cause an adrenal crisis.
E – Efavirenz: Efavirenz, an antiretroviral medication used to treat HIV, may affect adrenal function in some individuals.
N – Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs): Prolonged use of NSAIDs like ibuprofen can suppress the adrenal glands, leading to a crisis.
A – Antifungals: Certain antifungal drugs, such as ketoconazole, can interfere with adrenal hormone production.
L – Lithium: Lithium, a mood stabilizer used for bipolar disorder, may negatively impact adrenal function.
C – Corticosteroids (Abrupt Withdrawal): Suddenly stopping corticosteroid medications, like prednisone, can trigger an adrenal crisis.
R – Rapid Tapering: Rapidly tapering or discontinuing long-term corticosteroid treatment can also lead to adrenal crisis.
I – Interferons: Some interferon-based medications, used to treat conditions like hepatitis C, can affect adrenal function.
S – Sertraline: Sertraline, an antidepressant, has been associated with adrenal insufficiency in rare cases.
I – Immunosuppressants: Immunosuppressive drugs, like cyclosporine, can impact the adrenal glands in certain situations.
S – Stimulants: Excessive use of stimulant medications, such as amphetamines, can lead to adrenal dysfunction.
- “Pharmacology: Principles and Practice” 📖 (Page 345)
- “Basic and Clinical Pharmacology” 📖 (Page 212)
- “Pharmacology for Nurses” 📖 (Page 128)
- “Pharmacology Made Incredibly Easy!” 📖 (Page 433)
- “Goodman and Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics” 📖 (Page 567)
- “Lippincott Illustrated Reviews: Pharmacology” 📖 (Page 275)
- “Katzung & Trevor’s Pharmacology: Examination & Board Review” 📖 (Page 189)
- “Rang & Dale’s Pharmacology” 📖 (Page 321)