Here is a quick mnemonic “NAUSEA AND VOMITING“ to remember about Differential Diagnosis Of Nausea & Vomiting
This can be valuable for patients as well as medical doctors, nurses & students doing their clinical rounds. You can also find it very useful for med exams like USMLE, NExT Medical Step 1&2, MBBS, NEET PG, INI-CET, FMGE,MCAT & NCLEX exams
Differential Diagnosis Of Nausea & Vomiting : How To Remember Easily ?
- N – Nausea is caused by conditions within and outside the gut.
- A – Abdominal irradiation impairs intestinal motility and induces strictures.
- U – Ulcers and malignancy cause gastric obstruction.
- S – Superior mesenteric artery syndrome results from compression of the duodenum.
- E – Enteric infectious causes include viruses (norovirus, rotavirus), bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus, Bacillus cereus), and opportunistic organisms.
- A – Adhesions, benign or malignant tumors, volvulus, intussusception, or inflammatory diseases may cause small intestinal and colonic obstruction.
- A – Biliary colic causes nausea by acting on afferent nerves.
- N – Nausea and vomiting can be caused by gut sensorimotor dysfunction.
- D – Diabetes, scleroderma, and amyloidosis are organic diseases associated with nausea and vomiting.
- V – Vagotomy or pancreatic carcinoma may cause gastroparesis and lead to nausea and vomiting.
- O – Organic abnormalities are absent in chronic nausea vomiting syndrome.
- M – Myocardial infarction and congestive heart failure can cause nausea and vomiting.
- I – Increased intracranial pressure from tumors, bleeding, abscess, or blockage of cerebrospinal fluid outflow may produce vomiting.
- T – Tumors, bleeding, and abscess can cause vomiting due to increased intracranial pressure.
- I – Individuals with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, anxiety, and depression may experience significant nausea.
- N – NK1 mechanisms are more involved in delayed emesis from cancer chemotherapy.
- G – Growth differentiation factor 15 may play a role in hyperemesis gravidarum during pregnancy.
Mnemonic : NAUSEA AND VOMITING