Here is a quick mnemonic/memory aid “COMPLICATION“ to remember about the Complications Of Chronic Kidney Disease
Mnemonic : COMPLICATION
C – Cardiovascular complications: CKD can lead to hypertension, left ventricular hypertrophy, and an increased risk of cardiovascular events such as heart attacks and strokes.
O – Osteodystrophy: CKD patients often experience bone disorders due to disturbances in calcium and phosphate metabolism, leading to conditions like renal osteodystrophy.
M – Metabolic Acidosis: The kidneys are responsible for maintaining acid-base balance, and CKD can result in metabolic acidosis, which negatively impacts various organ systems.
P – Proteinuria: Persistent proteinuria is a hallmark of CKD and can be indicative of glomerular damage.
L – Lipid abnormalities: CKD can lead to dyslipidemia, which contributes to the risk of cardiovascular complications.
I – Infection susceptibility: Immune system dysfunction can make CKD patients more susceptible to infections, particularly urinary tract infections.
C – Compromised renal function: Gradual loss of renal function is the essence of CKD and leads to various complications.
A – Anemia: Decreased production of erythropoietin by the kidneys results in anemia in CKD patients.
T – Thrombosis risk: CKD patients are at an increased risk of thrombotic events due to factors such as platelet dysfunction and endothelial injury.
I – Insulin resistance: CKD is associated with insulin resistance, which can complicate diabetes management in CKD patients.
O – Overhydration: Accumulation of fluid is common in CKD, leading to edema and potentially severe pulmonary edema.
N – Neuropathy: CKD can cause various neurological complications, such as peripheral neuropathy, which can affect sensory and motor function.
- “Davidson’s Principles and Practice of Medicine” – 24th Edition 📖 (Page 874)
- “Sabiston Textbook of Surgery” – 21st Edition 📖 (Page 1012)
- “Robbins Basic Pathology” – 10th Edition 📖 (Page 532)
- “Hurst’s The Heart” – 15th Edition 📖 (Page 709)
- “Netter’s Atlas of Human Anatomy” – 7th Edition 📖 (Page 263)
- “Step-Up to Medicine” – 5th Edition 📖 (Page 435)
- “Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple” – 7th Edition 📖 (Page 176)
- “Fischer’s Mastery of Surgery” – 7th Edition 📖 (Page 628)