Here is a quick mnemonic/memory aid “COMMON ARTERY“ to remember Common Iliac Artery important facts
• 📖 “Gray’s Anatomy” by Henry Gray
• 📚 “Atlas of Human Anatomy” by Frank H. Netter
• 📘 “Essential Clinical Anatomy” by Keith L. Moore
• 📙 “Clinically Oriented Anatomy” by Keith L. Moore
• 📗 “Anatomy & Physiology for Dummies” by Maggie Norris and Donna Rae Siegfried
• 📕 “Medical-Surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems” by Sharon L. Lewis
• 📔 “Pathophysiology: The Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children” by Kathryn L. McCance and Sue E. Huether
• 📓 “Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice” edited by Peter Rosen et al.
Common Iliac Artery : How To Remember Easily ?
C – Carries Blood: Common Iliac Artery carries oxygenated blood from the abdominal aorta to the lower extremities.
O – Originates from: It originates from the abdominal aorta just below the level of the renal arteries.
M – Major Branch: One of its major branches is the Internal Iliac Artery, which supplies blood to the pelvis.
M – Muscular Wall: The artery has a thick muscular wall to withstand the high pressure of blood flow.
O – Overlaps: The Common Iliac Artery partially overlaps with the ureter as it descends.
N – Nourishes: It nourishes the lower limbs, including the muscles and bones.
A – Anatomy: Understanding the anatomy of the Common Iliac Artery is crucial for surgical procedures in the pelvis.
R – Right and Left: There are two common iliac arteries, the right and left, supplying each respective lower limb.
T – Terminal Branch: It eventually divides into the External Iliac Artery and Internal Iliac Artery to supply the lower limbs and pelvis.
E – External Iliac: The External Iliac Artery continues down into the lower limb, becoming the femoral artery.
R – Regulates Flow: The Common Iliac Artery plays a role in regulating blood flow to the legs through vasoconstriction and dilation.
Y – Yields Pressure: As it descends, it yields pressure for efficient blood distribution in the lower limbs.
Mnemonic : COMMON ARTERY