Here is a quick mnemonic “TREAT ME“ to remember about Chronic Diarrhea Treatment
This can be valuable for patients as well as medical doctors, nurses & students doing their clinical rounds. You can also find it very useful for med exams like USMLE, NExT Medical Step 1&2, MBBS, NEET PG, INI-CET, FMGE,MCAT & NCLEX exams
Chronic Diarrhea Treatment : How To Remember Easily ?
- T – Tailored Approach: Treatment depends on the specific cause and may be curative, suppressive, or empirical.
- R – Resection or Antibiotics: Surgical resection for colorectal cancer or antibiotic administration for Whipple’s disease or tropical sprue can be curative.
- E – Elimination of Triggers: Control diarrhea by eliminating triggers like dietary lactose for lactase deficiency or gluten for celiac sprue.
- A – Anti-Inflammatory Agents: Use glucocorticoids or other anti-inflammatory agents for idiopathic IBDs.
- T – Treat the Underlying Cause: Bile acid sequestrants for bile acid malabsorption, PPIs for gastric hypersecretion, somatostatin analogs for malignant carcinoid syndrome, etc.
- M – Medications: Empirical therapy with mild opiates like diphenoxylate or loperamide for mild to moderate watery diarrhea.
- E – Extreme Caution: Avoid antimotility agents like codeine or tincture of opium in severe IBD due to the risk of toxic megacolon.
Mnemonic : TREAT ME