Here is a quick mnemonic ” TEMPERATURe “ to remember about the basics of Body Temperature .
This can be valuable for patients as well as medical doctors, nurses & students doing their clinical rounds. You can also find it very useful for med exams like USMLE, NEET PG, FMGE, NExT & NCLEX exams
Body temperature refers to the internal temperature of the body, specifically the core temperature of the body, which is the temperature of the vital organs, such as the heart, liver, and brain. The body has a built-in mechanism called thermoregulation, which helps to maintain a stable internal temperature.
Body Temperature Basics : How To Remember Easily ?
- T: Temperature is regulated by the hypothalamus in the brain, which integrates signals from warmth/cold receptors in the skin and the blood.
- E: Excess heat from metabolic activity is balanced by heat dissipation from the skin and lungs, allowing for normal body temperature to be maintained despite environmental variations.
- M: Mean oral temperature for healthy individuals is 36.6°C, and a fever is defined as a temperature of >37.7°C.
- P: People’s body temperatures have diurnal and seasonal variations, with higher temperatures at 4 p.m. and during winter.
- E: Environmental temperature affects baseline body temperature, with higher ambient temperatures leading to higher baseline temperatures.
- R: Rectal temperatures are generally 0.4°C higher than oral readings, and lower-esophageal temperatures closely reflect core temperature.
- A: Adjusted-mode tympanic membrane thermometers measure radiant heat from the ear canal and display values that reflect actual core temperatures obtained in clinical studies.
- T: Temperature readings can be affected by age, demographics, and comorbid conditions, and a 0.15°C increase in baseline temperature is associated with a 0.52% absolute increase in 1-year mortality.
- U: Unadjusted-mode tympanic membrane values are 0.8°C lower than rectal temperatures.
- R: Rise in temperature occurs by ~0.6°C (1°F) with ovulation in women who menstruate.
- e: (blank)
Mnemonic : TEMPERATURe