Here is a quick mnemonic/memory aid “SNORE AID“ to remember about the Signs & Symptoms of Obstructive Sleep Apnea
S – Snoring: Loud and persistent snoring is a hallmark sign of OSA.
N – Nocturnal Hypoxemia: Decreased oxygen levels during sleep due to frequent breathing interruptions.
O – Overweight: Obesity is a significant risk factor for OSA.
R – Restless Sleep: Frequent awakenings and restlessness during the night.
E – Excessive Daytime Sleepiness: Individuals with OSA often experience severe daytime fatigue.
A – Apneic Episodes: Repeated episodes of breathing cessation during sleep.
I – Impaired Cognition: Cognitive impairments such as memory problems and difficulty concentrating.
D – Depression: OSA can lead to or exacerbate symptoms of depression.
- “Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine” by Dennis L. Kasper, Anthony S. Fauci, et al.
- “Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment” by Maxine A. Papadakis and Stephen J. McPhee.
- “Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease” by Vinay Kumar, Abul K. Abbas, and Jon C. Aster.
- “The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy” by Robert S. Porter and Justin L. Kaplan.
- “Davidson’s Principles and Practice of Medicine” by Stuart H. Ralston, Ian D. Penman, and Mark W. Strachan.
- “Kumar and Clark’s Clinical Medicine” by Parveen Kumar and Michael L. Clark.
- “Netter’s Anatomy Coloring Book” by John T. Hansen.
- “Clinical Medicine for the MRCP Paces” by Gautam Mehta, Bilal Iqbal, and Deborah Bowman.