Here is a quick mnemonic/memory aid “CHECKLIST“ to remember about the Signs & Symptoms of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
C: Constant Counting
- Individuals may engage in repetitive counting, such as counting steps or objects excessively.
H: Handwashing Hypervigilance
- There’s an obsessive fear of contamination, leading to compulsive and frequent handwashing.
E: Endless Checking
- Persistent checking and rechecking, like making sure doors are locked or appliances are turned off.
C: Compulsive Cleaning
- A heightened need for cleanliness, often involving excessive cleaning rituals.
K: Keen Organizing
- Compulsive need for order and symmetry, arranging items meticulously.
L: Lost in Thought Loops
- Individuals get stuck in obsessive thought loops, unable to break free from intrusive and distressing thoughts.
I: Intrusive Images
- Disturbing and unwanted mental images that cause significant anxiety.
S: Symmetry Obsession
- An overwhelming need for symmetry and balance in various aspects of life.
T: Time-Consuming Rituals
- Engaging in rituals that take up a significant amount of time and interfere with daily activities.