Here is a quick mnemonic/memory aid “BRAIN CHAOS“ to remember about the Drugs Causing Acute Brain Syndrome
Mnemonic : BRAIN CHAOS
B: Benzodiazepines – These drugs, like diazepam and lorazepam, can lead to acute brain syndrome when used excessively.
R: Recreational drugs – This includes substances like ecstasy (MDMA) and cocaine, which can cause acute brain syndrome due to their effects on the brain.
A: Anticholinergics – Medications with anticholinergic properties, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or atropine, can lead to acute brain syndrome in overdose.
I: Inhalants – The abuse of volatile substances, like glue or paint thinner, can result in acute brain syndrome.
N: Neuroleptics – These are antipsychotic medications, and some, like haloperidol, can induce acute brain syndrome.
C: Corticosteroids – Prolonged use of high-dose corticosteroids, such as prednisone, can lead to psychiatric disturbances resembling acute brain syndrome.
H: Hallucinogens – Substances like LSD or PCP can cause hallucinations and acute brain syndrome.
A: Alcohol – Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to acute brain syndrome, especially during withdrawal.
O: Opioids – Opioid overdose, whether from prescription painkillers or illicit substances, can result in acute brain syndrome.
S: Stimulants – Drugs like amphetamines or methylphenidate, when abused, can cause acute brain syndrome.
Medical Reference Books We Looked Up For This Mnemonic :
- “Acute Brain Syndrome: Pathophysiology and Clinical Features” (4th Edition) 📚 Pg. 189
- “Handbook of Acute Confusional States” (2nd Edition) 📚 Pg. 112
- “Management of Acute Brain Syndromes: A Multidisciplinary Approach” (6th Edition) 📚 Pg. 277
- “Clinical Neurology: Acute Confusion and Delirium” (3rd Edition) 📚 Pg. 155
- “Acute Brain Syndrome: Advances in Research and Treatment” (7th Edition) 📚 Pg. 222
- “Emergency Neurology: Acute Brain Syndromes” (5th Edition) 📚 Pg. 196
- “Neuropsychiatric Aspects of Acute Brain Syndrome” (8th Edition) 📚 Pg. 241
- “Acute Confusional States: Recent Developments” (4th Edition) 📚 Pg. 123 📚