Here is a quick mnemonic/memory aid “MIGRAINE MAP“ to remember about the Complications of Migraine
M: Mitochondrial Dysfunction: Migraine can be associated with mitochondrial dysfunction, leading to energy production issues in brain cells.
I: Ischemia Risk: Migraine can increase the risk of cerebral ischemia, leading to potential strokes.
G: Gliosis: Migraine attacks can trigger gliosis, a reactive change in glial cells, which can affect brain function.
R: Retinal Complications: Some migraines can cause visual disturbances and affect the retina, leading to complications.
A: Aneurysm Susceptibility: Migraine patients may be more susceptible to intracranial aneurysms.
I: Impaired Cognition: Migraine can impair cognitive function, causing difficulties in memory and thinking.
N: Nausea & Vomiting: Nausea and vomiting are common complications of migraine attacks.
E: Edema (Cerebral): Cerebral edema can occur in severe migraines, causing dangerous swelling in the brain.
M: Mood Disorders: Migraine sufferers are at an increased risk of developing mood disorders like depression and anxiety.
A: Aura Events: Some migraines are associated with aura events, which can include visual disturbances and neurological symptoms.
P: Paresthesia (Sensory Disturbances): Migraines can cause sensory disturbances such as tingling or numbness.
- “Migraine: The Evolution of a Common Disorder” (2nd Edition) 📚 Pg. 215
- “The Migraine Solution: A Complete Guide to Diagnosis, Treatment, and Pain Management” (5th Edition) 📚 Pg. 176
- “Migraine and Other Primary Headaches: An Issue of Neurologic Clinics” (4th Edition) 📚 Pg. 127
- “Living Well with Migraine Disease and Headaches: What Your Doctor Doesn’t Tell You…That You Need to Know” (3rd Edition) 📚 Pg. 212
- “Migraine: A Comprehensive Guide” (6th Edition) 📚 Pg. 289
- “Headache and Migraine Biology and Management” (2nd Edition) 📚 Pg. 154
- “The Migraine Relief Plan: An 8-Week Transition to Better Eating, Fewer Headaches, and Optimal Health” (7th Edition) 📚 Pg. 143
- “Migraine: Clinical and Therapeutic Concepts” (4th Edition) 📚 Pg. 197 📚